“The Math has a long history of more than one thousand years and being a multi-dimensional institution has contributed immensely to the cause of societal advancement”
HH Jagadguru Sri Rajendra Mahaswamiji initially provided accommodation and food for a few poor students at his rented house in Mysuru, with the intention of supporting them and preventing them from discontinuing education. With the blessings and encouragement of His Holiness Mantra Maharshi, a building on Vanivilasa Road was bought later and a free hostel was started. That marked the grand beginning of the students’ hostels.
Later, KSS Hostel was started in the building donated by Sahukar Siddalingaiah. Thus, he started the dasoha of food and knowledge around the year 1930. That small initiative by him has today grown into a vast educational movement.
Several stalwarts have studied in the hostels that began in the 1940s. The list includes several Ministers of the Union and State government/ IAS/IPS officers/Vice Chancellors. Hostels were also started in Chamarajanagara (1945) and Mysuru (1948). The student hostels have grown in number and have provided boarding and lodging facility to thousands of students and supported their education.
Orphanages, Homes for Destitute Children and Free Hostels
Under the aegis of the Math, several orphanages, homes for destitute children and free hostels are run in the following places.
- KSS Orphanage, Vanivilasa Road, Mysuru
- JSS Hostel, Vanivilasa Road, Mysuru (Main Building)
- JSS Vidyarthi Nilaya, Suttur
- JSS Destitute Children Home, Suttur
- JSS Pre-Metric Boys Hostel, Suttur
- JSS Orphanage, Chamarajanagara
- Sri Basaveshwara Orphanage, Bachahalli, Gundlupet, Chamarajanagara
- JSS Hostel, Ramanuja Road, Mysuru.
- JSS Hostel, Ramapura, Chamarajanagara
- JSS Orphanage, Terakanambi, Gundlupet (Tq), Chamarajanagara.
- JSS Home for Destitute Children, Hullahalli, Nanjangud (Tq), Mysuru
- JSS Orphanage, Doddakadanur, Holenarasipura (Tq), Hassan.
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Hostel, K. R. Nagara, Mysuru
- Sri Basaveshwara Orphanage, Shivapura, Gundlupet (Tq), Chamarajanagara.
- Sri Basaveshwara Orphanage, Vaddagere, Gundlupet (Tq), Chamarajanagara.
- JSS Hostel for Differently abled Working Women and Girl Students, Mysuru
Sri Basaveshwara Orphanage, Bachahalli, and its branches Shivapura and Vaddagere orphanages were handed over to JSSMVP for suitable development in 1993. In addition to the hostels listed above, all institutions of JSSMVP have hostels for boys and girls attached to them. Some of them are free hostels.