HH Jagadguru Sri Rajendra Mahaswamiji initially provided accommodation and food for a few poor students at his Mysore residence, which he had rented out, with the intention of supporting them and preventing them from discontinuing education. With the blessings and encouragement of His Holiness Mantra Maharshi, a building on Vanivilasa Road was bought later and a free hostel was started. That was the grand beginning of the students’ hostels.
Later KSS Hostel was started in the building donated by Sahukar Siddalingaiah. Thus, he started the dasoha of food and knowledge around the year 1930. That small initiative by him has today grown into a vast educational movement.
Several stalwarts have studied in the hostels that began in the 1940s. The list includes several Ministers of the union and state govts./ IAS/IPS officers/Vice Chancellors. Hostels were also started in Chamarajanagara (1945) and Mysuru (1948). The student hostels have grown in number and have provided boarding and lodging facility to thousands of students and supported their education.
Orphanages, Homes for Destitute Children and Free Hostels
Under the aegis of the Math, several orphanages, homes for destitute children and free hostels are run. They are run in the following places.
- KSS Orphanage, Vanivilasa Road, Mysuru Dist.
- JSS Hostel, Vanivilasa Road, Mysuru (Main Building)
- JSS Orphanage, Double Road, Chamarajanagara Dist.
- Sri Basavaeshwara Orphanage***, Bachahalli, Gundlupet Taluk, Chamarajanagara Dist.
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Hostel, Jagadguru Dr. Sri Shivarahtri Rajendra Circle, Ramanuja Road, Mysuru Dist.
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Hostel, Ramapura, Kollegala Taluk, Chamarajanagara Dist.
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Orphanage, Terakanambi, Gundlupet Taluk, Chamarajanagara Dist.
- JSS Home for Destitute Children, Hullahalli, Nanjangud Taluk, Mysuru Dist.
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Orphanage, Doddakadanur, Holenarasipura Taluk, Hassan Dist.
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Hostel, Mysore Road, K. R. Nagara, Mysuru Dist.
- Sri Basaveshwara Orphanage***, Shivapura, Gundlupet Taluk, Chamarajanagara Dist.
- Sri Basaveshwara Orphanage***, Vaddagere, Gundlupet Taluk, Chamarajanagara Dist.
- JSS Hostel, Lakshmipuram, Nanjumalige Circle, Mysuru Dist.
- JSS Hostel for Differently-abled Working Women and Girl Students, Mysuru Dist.
Sri Basaveshwara Orphanage, Bachahalli, and its branches Shivapura and Vaddagere orphanages were handed over to JSSMVP for suitable development in 1993.
In addition to the hostels listed above, all institutions of JSSMVP have hostels for boys and girls attached to them. Some of them are free hostels.